   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft Hypes Up XUL As The Greatest ExpirimentSince Ada

Hi Emmanuil,

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 10:21, Emmanuil Batsis (Manos) wrote:
> Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> > Moreover I wonder if XUL2XAML transformation is possible?
>
> Now that's worth a thought or two. Most of us will probably need to make
> this work at some point. As Elliotte Rusty Harold points out, XUL uses
> CSS and although I disagree with him on the XML attributes VS CSS issue,
> he's right on the need for a CSS parsing module.
>
> Although I'm not sure on whether a 100% mapping is possible between the
> semantics of the two languages, a transformer shouldn't be that
> difficult using SAX and a SAC [1] parser to handle CSS when going from
> XUL to XAML.

As mentioned in my answer to Elliotte Rusty Harold, I think that if you
want to do the conversion in the general case, the main issue isn't with
parsing the CSS syntax but with interpreting the CSS selectors which
features set is not very XPath/XSLT friendly.

The syntax by itself should be easily parseable with XSLT 2.0 reg exps.
In XSLT 1.0, it would be more verbose, but could be a nice opportunity
to use the Dimitre Novatchev's FXSL library...

My 0.02 Euros,

Eric
--
If you have a XML document, you have its schema.
                                                  http://examplotron.org