   RE: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) and Bin

Alaric B Snell wrote:

> Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
> > If some aspect of ASN.1 can cover mixed content and open content
> > models, I'm happy to welcome it to my regular list of XML schema
> > languages. Otherwise, I'll be happy to continue promoting
> ASN.1 as an
> > _alternative_ to XML, albeit one with ASN.1->XML->ASN.1
> > interoperability.
> >
> > (It's the anyXML->ASN.1->anyXML part that seems to remain a
> problem.)
>
> There's an ASN.1 type for the Infoset... meaning, one ASN.1
> schema that
> covers any XML document. Useful for simple arbitrary-XML
> compression by
> reading XML and outputting a PER representation of the
> infoset. Run the
> result of that through GZip to compress the text parts and it gets
> pretty small!

Let me clarify.  The "ASN.1 Schema for the Infoset" is part of the X.695
work.  It is not (yet) used in X.693 (EXTENDED-XER) nor in X.694.

The current support for the content-model wildcard in EXTENDED-XER, as I
said in a previous message, consists in a character string type with an
[ANY-ELEMENT] encoding instruction, which contains any XML element.  The
current X.694 mapping translates each WXS content-model wildcard into an
ASN.1 UTF8String with an [ANY-ELEMENT] encoding instruction.

As the X.695 work matures, it is expected that the "ASN.1 Schema for the
Infoset" will be used in X.693/X.694, but this will take some time.

Alessandro