   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!)and Bina

Alaric B Snell wrote:
> Yeah... the shortage of ASN.1 tools sucks. There's some really lovely
> tools you can pay for, but that situation locks out experimenters, open
> source folks, etc.
>
> Who's up for a project to build an open source ASN.1 toolkit?

There seems to be quite a few half-baked Open Source tools for ASN.1
that seem to have stopped at supporting BER and a subset of the abstract
syntax that they deemed useful, but never its entirety. Do the ASN.1
folks consider this a problem? It certainly has caused me to try and use
it, and give up in the past for I didn't have time to fix the tools.
What is the generally admitted reason for this? Spec complexity? Lack of
interest? Something else?

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Scientist, Expway      http://expway.com/