   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!)and Bina

Bob Wyman wrote:
> Michael Champion wrote:
>>I'm not exactly clear on the value proposition here, but
>>that's for the market to sort out.
>
> 	Well, give systems that use ASN.1 at their core and generate
> XML, all the arguments for "binary XML" can be converted instead into
> discussions of which of the existing encoding rules should be used
> (probably PER), rather than consuming the time, energy, and focus that
> would be required to create yet-another-binary-encoding.

Congrats on getting X.694 out of the door, it is an interesting
specification. That being said, I must admit I am surprised at your
assumption that simply because ASN.1 produced a binary encoding of XML
it has successfully solved all the problems that people attempt to solve
when they turn to alternative encodings for XML.

Given that at the binary infosets workshop there was a considerable
amount of doubt that any single solution could do the trick for the
entire needs of the market, I would have expected anyone so sure of
their results to show up and tell us about it :)

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Scientist, Expway      http://expway.com/