   RE: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) and Bin

Tom P (tpassin@comcast.net) wrote:
> I myself wrote an ASN.1 to XML Schema translator - __very__
incomplete
> and simple-minded, though it handled most of the schemas we were
> dealing with
	This is the story of most ASN.1 projects -- a partial
implementation... Folk only implement what they need...

> Maybe it is like XML Schema - no one has yet implemented every
feature
> correctly (or have they by now?).
	Complete commercial implementations are available, it would be
hard to justify their cost if they weren't. The difference is that the
commercial projects are addressing the needs of hundreds of projects
which represent enough variety in their requirements that a full ASN.1
implementation is needed to satisfy them all. Also, since people are
paying money for the stuff, they tend to complain louder and expect
rapid response whenever it is found that something that they need from
an ASN.1 standard is not implemented properly in the commercial tool.
Folk are much more forgiving and willing to work-around problems when
they are using a free product...

		bob wyman