   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) and Bin

According to some things I have read or been told, ASN.1 was originally developed for people - people communication, to let them explain schemas to each other.  Probably because of that, it turned out to be a bear to parse.  I do not know if the residue of this still plays a role, but full ASN.1 has an awful lot of syntax features.

Maybe it is like XML Schema - no one has yet implemented every feature correctly (or have they by now?).  I myself wrote an ASN.1 to XML Schema translator - __very__ incomplete and simple-minded, though it handled most of the schemas we were dealing with (and the xml format described by the resulting xsd schema was not XER).  There are many wrinkles and optional features and special cases and defaults to handle.

I think that some of the sophisticated encodings like PER are very hard to get right and complete, too (I have never looked into these encodings, so have no first-hand experience here).

Cheers,

Tom P