   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!)and Bina

Hi John,

John Larmouth wrote:
> I am not a tool vendor, and will leave the tool vendors to comment
> further, but please recognise that in the climate of the 1980s, which
> may be where much of the "my experience is" may be coming from,
> open-source was not an established reality, and free software was
> generally only available as the result of masters  students' projects at
> universities, and frequently only provided for things that could be
> implemented in the time-frame of such projects.

Yes, I well understand that while today it is almost unthinkable to
produce a (RF) specification that does not have an open source
implementation it might not have always been thus. However, what
intrigues me most is not the absence of open source implementations, but
rather the absence of open source projects around ASN.1 that implement
at least a sizeable chunk of the ASN.1 body of specifications and/or
have a sufficiently active community working towards that goal. I would
like to know if the ASN.1 community has insights into this situation.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Scientist, Expway      http://expway.com/