   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) andBina

tpassin@comcast.net wrote:
> I think that some of the sophisticated encodings like PER are very hard to get right and complete, too (I have never looked into these encodings, so have no first-hand experience here).

IMHO my guess is that the writing of a PER encoder/decoder (just that
layer, not the schema-based encoder/decoder that drives it) is harder
than writing an XML parser, but i do not think by a huge amount (but do
not hold me too much to this statement!). PER reduces the choice of how
an encoder may encode data, this makes it alot easier to develop the
decoder correctly.

There are enough resources out there to make the development process
easier. Two freely available books have good chapters on PER [1]. There
are also two open source PER implementations [2]. Of course obtaining
the ASN.1 PER specification helps! [3]

Paul.

[1] http://www.oss.com/asn1/booksintro.html.
[2] http://www.erlang.org/doc/r7b/lib/asn1-1.2.9.3/doc/index.html