   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) andBina

Thomas B. Passin wrote:
<snip>
> So far as I know, there is no asn.1 equivalent to the infoset, but there
> is no need for one (modulo internal datatypes of various computers and
> languages) because an asn.1 schema inherently describes data structures
> (that can be realized in memory, for example), which xml without an
> infoset does not.

This is not precisely what you were referring to w.r.t. an infoset for
ASN.1, but for X.695 we are developing an ASN.1 schema for defining the
XML infoset, for the such cases where:

1) There is no schema e.g. xs:any.
2) 'Looser' processing model (related to 1) e.g. set of piped
    XPath processors.
3) Preservation of lexical information e.g. "+000001".

Just like the choice of what ASN.1 encoding rule to use can be a
space/time trade off so it can be with the case of using X.694 or the
ASN.1 schema for the XML infoset.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question