   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) andBina

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:50, Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> Since the breakthrough of XML versus SGML is the fact that schemas are
> now optional, isn't ASN.1 a regression in this respect?

 As it was pointed out in this (or in some of the related threads) a
part of X.695 is the definition of an ASN.1 schema for the XML infoset.
Using that schema, it is possible to encode both open content (i.e.
xsd:any*) and schema-less XML infosets. I think your remark is an
important one and I just wanted to point out that it hasn't been
overlooked.

 An interesting byproduct of combining X.694 with that part of X.695 is
the ability to choose how much schema information to rely upon. On one
extreme, there are schemas where everything is open content (i.e. there
is no schema), on the other, schemas where no open content is allowed.
Middle points where open content is encoded as XML infosets but the rest
is encoded using full schema knowledge can be very useful, in my view.
In this context, an open content is not only an under-specified part of
a document, but also a part than anyone can understand provided that
they understand how to decode the context.

-- Santiago