   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Interchange Workshop - minutes available

Liam Quin wrote:
> Something to consider is that the Working Group, if formed, could
> produce a conclusion that W3Cshould not specify a binary format for
> interchange of XML.

Len Bullard asked:
> Do you think the argument that the "W3C will lose control"
> is an important consideration in that decision?

It's a factor - in other words, it's clear that people are already
using binary formats to interchange XML... indeed, HTTP already
sanctions the use of gzip... and they will continue to do use binary
formats whether or not W3C defines one such interchange format.

So the question is, can W3C increase interoperability, and make
the Web a better place, by defining a binary interchange format?

Part of the work in answering that is determining whether enough
people would use such a format, and the answer to that question
hinges on whether those people's needs are met by such a format.

We don't know the answer to that question yet.

It's not so much about control as about adoption and interoperability.

Hope this helps,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/