   RE: [xml-dev] Who blows the whistle on Microsoft? Time to stand up

It is not a tightly coupled world.  Far from it.
It is a world in which web technologies are applied
but the content is not available to everyone in any
conceivable situation.

Does your company put all of its internal financial
reports, product plans, strategic plans, and so forth
on the public web?

XAML, XUL, MID, this means to use an alternative framework
to HTML thrives or dies on whether or not it has features
that are useful.   The question should be at this juncture,
some two to three years ahead of the fielding, why one
prefers this style of client markup? What are the advantages?
Why XUL?  Why XAML?  I know why we did the MID but that is
an archaeology exercise at this point.

Microsoft stated they were announcing this ahead of time to
get feedback.  Ok, one message is that some will be unhappy
because this isn't HTML/SVG/XUL whatever.  Noted.  Now, what
are the technical reasons for preferring this?  Anyone?

1.  To get a framework where GUI controls are NOT embedded
in a text rendering engine.  In other words, to get a web
GUI that is not in an HTML straitjacket.

len

From: Michael Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

On Monday, Nov 3, 2003, at 17:28 America/Detroit, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

>  Over time people have gotten this twisted belief
> that unless an XML technology is rubber stamped by some brahmins in
> some
> working group or technical committee then it isn't worthwhile. XML is
> about freedom not serfdom, the sooner the XML community and the
> software
> industry as a whole begin to realize this fundamental truth about XML
> the better for us all in the long run.

Absolutely!  Just add "market strategist in Redmond" to the list of
brahmins, and I'll bet most people on this list would agree :-)  The
"whining" about XAML, etc. is not about the right to innovate, i.e. to
do exactly what XML is supposed to be good for.  It's a skepticism that
the problems being addressed by the innovations are the problems that
real people, who don't care whether software is elegant, or hard to
write, or if their processors are underutilized, actually suffer.  It's
also a concern for the "network effect" that organized the party we're
all at -- cut down on the ability of people to fully exploit the
content of a site from Linux, PalmOS or OS X devices, and you're
cutting the value of the network as a whole. In Len's tightly coupled
world, that doesn't matter, so he should be a happy customer; but on
the Web it matters a lot, so don't expect kudos.