   Re: Off topic: dateTime formatting in Java

Jochen Wiedmann <joe@ispsoft.de> writes:
 > sorry, that this is slightly off topic, but I think there's a good
 > chance that one or the other reader has already encountered the same
 > problem in the past. so I hope it's fine to ask.
 >

 > XML Schema specifies, that instances of xs:dateTime are formatted like
 >
 >      1999-05-31T13:20:00-05:00
 >
 > In Java formatting issues like these are usually performed by using an
 > instance of java.text.DateFormat. However, I seem to be unable to
 > create a matching instance (except for deriving a subclass, of
 > course). Any suggestions?

Here's a fragment that does UTC.  You'll need to modify it to use a
different timezone.

import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
import java.util.TimeZone;
import java.util.Date;

    SimpleDateFormat ISO8601UTC =
      new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss,SSS'Z'");
    ISO8601UTC.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getTimeZone("UTC"));
    String now = ISO8601UTC.format(new Date());

--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent