   RE: [xml-dev] About XUL, XAML and Laszlo

> It appears that XUL is not closely related to XAML, in fact,
> both systems are far from being close.

In design, they're different.  And XAML has a wider scope.

But they're similar in that they each endeavor to allow the development
of rich, portable client interfaces in a web-like way.  Now, we can
argue about the meaning of portable when used in conjunction with
the term "Microsoft", but I think the more interesting thing to
think about is what the ultimate manifestation of these ideas
might become.

[X]HTML + [CSS] + [Javascript] rule the portable web app interface
game today, as evidenced by, well, just about anybody's homepage.
But we're still not happy with it.  Why?  One big reason for me:
Rich interfaces are possible, but anything sufficiently advanced
requires massive amounts of DHTML-fu.  I've been there.  Three
weeks and a dozen hacks later, I've still got an application to write.

As uncomfortable as the web.traditionalist in me feels about it
(which is less and less each day), I think the road to richer,
widely supported web app interfaces will be a significant jump
away from [X]HTML.

That Microsoft essentially owns the web client[1] gives them
ample time to design and implement such a monster, and the
ability to deploy it with ease.  While not as ambitious in some
ways as XAML, XUL, if evolved right, could get some *really*
significant traction in this realm by the time Longhorn arrives...
especially if the recent trend in Firebird's popularity[2] continues.
Stalling IE development may turn out to have been a huge
strategic mistake for Microsoft.

Overall, I regard the fear-of-XAML that has popped up recently as
a good thing. What better way to get more interest in making
XUL kick more ass than it already does?

- Chris

[1] ... but not the command-line: http://www.google.com/