   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!)andBinar

Robin Berjon wrote:
> If all you have is an ASN.1 schema, and you're on the receiving side,
> you don't know what you're going to get. If it's an ER you don't know
> about you won't read it. That just won't happen if you're using XML. You
> can chose to consider this unimportant, but a lot of us XML folks think
> it is a core asset.

Heheh, any XML folk who thinks that this is an asset of XML haven't read:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#charencoding

"processors are, of course, not required to support all IANA-registered
encodings"

Again, for anybody who has approached XML in the search for a single
concrete syntax but not come across this point yet, I recommend XDR...
or to just be pragmatic and say "My decoder will only read XML in one of
the charsets XML1.0 requires me to accept" or, equivelantly, "My decoder
will only read BER" and then stop making spurious and libelous claims
about ASN.1 encodings being less interoperable than XML character sets :-)

ABS