   Office (was RE: [xml-dev] Why I Like Longhorn and XAML)

SteveB@hbs.com (Steve Boyce) writes:
>(And by the way, Office 2003 is the
>first Office upgrade for many years that seems to offer genuine value
>for money in terms of business benefit)

For those few organizations willing to upgrade all their licenses, train
their developers in W3C XML Schema and Smart Documents, and pray that
their users can figure out new interfaces in Word and InfoPath
(especially as the latter isn't really integrated with Outlook/Exchange
_or_ the Web), you might be right.

I'm writing a book on that one - yeah, I know - and I can't say the
excitement from Jean Paoli's "XML for the Masses" presentation last
December lasted past February.  There's real stuff there, yes, but I
have a very hard time seeing this version as that much value to most
people and organizations.

(Unless, of course, you just want to buy a copy to convert your
documents to WordML, then use XSLT or similar tools to convert it to a
cleaner XML format that's more easily stored, processed, etc.  The Excel
and Access stuff is pretty cool, though the niftier Excel features don't
come in the Standard edition.)