   RE: [xml-dev] Challenge

Well it seems to be exactly what I'm doing right now at my jobs except that the XML documents have different structures.

I'm doing it with Cocoon
-----Message d'origine-----
De : Didier PH Martin [mailto:martind@netfolder.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 5 novembre 2003 17:01
À : xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Objet : [xml-dev] Challenge

Hi,

As usual, in this list there is a lot of talk and very little walk. Here is a challenge I am proposing to the member of this list and particularly to the people who think great application can be done with a browser technology and W3C frameworks.

Here it is:

The goal is to get an XML document to be edited on the client, all validation performed on the client and the filled XML document returned to the server. Let’s start with a modest document as below. What is to be filled are the data content for each element. Simple no?

So to recap:

a)       The XML document is associated with a stylesheet for rendition.  All the element’s data content are empty. The XML document is rendered in the browser using an XSLT stylesheet (you design and implement the stylesheet – rendition is opened)

b)       The user enters the data and the XML data content is filled. The element Version has to be validated. Only 1.0 is allowed. Validation obviously is performed on the client side.

c)       The XML document is returned to the server with all its data  content filled

Here is the XML document:

<demo>

  <version></version>

  <author>

      <name></name>

      <email></email>

  </author>

  <description></description>

</demo>

See, the XML document to be filled is simple. By the way, at first let’s not restrict that to a single browser. IE, Opera, Mozilla or others are fine. As long as the apps can do what is mentioned in this message and no “fat server” technology is used. The whole “fill the blanks” operation should occurs without constant connection with a server. Now let’s see how many can walk their talk

Cheers

Didier PH Martin

http://didier-martin.com