   Re: [xml-dev] External entities

In article <3.0.6.32.20031106010629.00b609e0@pop.bredband.net> you write:

><?xml version="1.0"?>
><!ENTITY alef "&#x05D0;">

>And here's the document entity mydoc.xml:

><?xml version="1.0"?>
><!DOCTYPE doc [
><!ENTITY hebrew SYSTEM "hebrew.ent">
>]>

>What kind of entity is "alef"? I know it's a general entity, but that's not
>precice enough, and "external general entity" is the whole file.

The XML spec itself doesn't provide a precise term for this, though it
does use the term "external markup declarations" for declarations in
the external subset(s).

I would call it an externally-declared internal entity.  You can add
"general" and "parsed" to that if you want to be especially verbose.

-- Richard