   External entities

I need to explain entities for others, and got stuck in the terminology. An
internal entity is a macro, while an external entity is a file. This is a
bit confusing, and leads to the question: what do you call a certain macro
declared in an external entity? For example, let's say this is the file
hebrew.ent:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!ENTITY alef "&#x05D0;">

And here's the document entity mydoc.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ENTITY hebrew SYSTEM "hebrew.ent">
]>

What kind of entity is "alef"? I know it's a general entity, but that's not
precice enough, and "external general entity" is the whole file.

Gustaf