   Re: [xml-dev] RDF?

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:25:16 -0600
Scott Purcell <spurcell@vertisinc.com> wrote:

> How does one go about getting information on how to process a RDF XML
> document? I have google searched this subject for a couple of hours
> and I have came up with no valid solutions.

I'm wondering what terms you used to search.  'rdf', 'rdf/xml'
'rdf xml' and return lots of answers :)

> I have this document in the form of a file, and I would like to parse
> (sax?) and gather certain information.

googling for 'rdf parser' returns some of the many answers
such as ARP (Java), my Raptor (C), javascript, prolog, java again, ...

Most of them are based on SAX.  There are yet more I can point
you at in python (10K source), Java yet again, lisp and so on.

> Any information on how to accomplish this with Java or Perl would be
> appreciated.

<snip/>

What you've got there is Adobe XMP metadata.  They provide a free
SDK for that at their website:
  http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/main.html

Any of the many RDF tools will also be able to deal with it too.
Here's several hundred tools for RDF:
  http://www.ilrt.bristol.ac.uk/discovery/rdf/resources/

You asked about Java.  I suggest Jena or Sesame.

For Perl there are CPAN modules for RDF (including my own Redland)
and also pure perl (RDF::Core) and perl/C mixes such as RDFSuite.

Now what you actually want to *do* with the information is up
to you, that's your application.

Dave