   RE: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (preserving investment) (ASN.1 an

Amelia A. Lewis wrote:
>Second the motion.

	Would this go down easier if rather than proposing a SAX 3,
the proposal was to develop an extension to the SAX 2 XMLReader
interface and then use the standard feature and property facilities to
allow callers to define which callback should be made when
characters() would normally be called? This could be done without
perturbing the core SAX 2 interfaces at all.

	The ideal would be to allow better support for the types found
in binary encodings without changing anything for folk or code who
deal only with textual data or wish to view the world as text only. As
Amelia has said elsewhere, string is the "ur-type of XML" and that
must be respected. Fortunately, since ASN.1 defines a textual value
type and mappings to/from it, I think that everything that an ASN.1
defined encoding system can carry can, in fact, be represented
usefully as a string.

		bob wyman