   RE: [xml-dev] StAX XMLStreamWriter Oddities

Oops.  I left out the word 'application'.  I agree about SIR.  Whether or
not it was a 'defensive' application, I don't see anything novel and unique
about StAX and its implementations.  Also, I am dismayed that at least some
of the people who helped design StAX haven't been informed of the existence
of this patent application.

Aside from the patent, I can't help but notice some sloppiness in the API
like inconsistent method names which is, thankfully, just annoying rather
than encouraging mistakes like scrambled of parameter order does.

  In XMLStreamReader:

    getNamespaceURI() // returns URI
    getAttributeNamespace() // returns URI

  In XMLStreamWriter:

    setDefaultNamespace() // accepts URI
    writeDefaultNamespace() // accepts URI
    writeNamespace() // accepts prefix and URI

Now I wish I had reviewed StAX in more detail before it was finalized.

Best,

Don Park
http://www.docuverse.com/
http://www.docuverse.com/blog/donpark/