   Re: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (SAD-SAX)

liam@w3.org (Liam Quin) writes:
>When you say that only one view of a layered architecture is
>acceptable, you succumb, I claim, to the hubris of the dogmatic.
>WHen you say that your particular viewpoint is the only one
>acceptable for others, you go beyond the dogmatic to the didactic.

I fear a lot of us have been backed into dogmatism or perhaps even
didacticism by the perverse activities of the organization you
represent.  There likely were better paths worth considering than "this
is just text", but the amount of pain the W3C has inflicted in its
specifications for creating typed XML has left a lot of us convinced
that such work is foolish, pointless, or dangerous.

W3C XML Schema has not only made XML look far more complicated to the
uninitiated, it has boggled the minds of the experienced and continues
to taint specifications which reference it.  The PSVI is a black joke at
the bar of an XML conference.

My experience tells me that the only appropriate response to presenting
XML as strongly typed data is resistance.  Perhaps someone can talk me
down from that resistance, but it will take a lot of doing.

>It might be that interchange of binary information in any
>non-textual representation is not a change we should sanction
>at the W3C (although that will not stop others from doing it),
>but at least let us all make a decision based on careful and
>clear reasoning, and let that reasoning use reproducible
>measurements wherever possible as a basis, not mere dogma.

I can stomach binary interchange.  I just don't want the people pushing
binary XML to make changes to XML processing while doing it.  That's
what Bob seems to be up to, and that's worth drawing a line.

I'd be thrilled to see ASN.1 readers which produce SAX2 events and ASN.1
writers which consume SAX2 events.  I'm not happy to hear notions of
PSVI-like typing polluting the SAX2 space.  If you want typing, find
another API - and accept the costs of doing that.  If the ASN.1
community wants to reach out to the XML community, it needs to create
ASN.1 tools which talk to XML tools without imposing ASN.1's own and
different perspective on how data should be presented.