   RE: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (preserving investment)(ASN.1 an

At 10:55 AM -0500 11/9/03, Alessandro Triglia wrote:

>I believe Bob was referring to the BER and PER encodings of ASN.1, not to
>XML.  In my interpretation, he was contending that a binary SAX-alike
>created over BER/PER might pass data in some binary form rather than convert
>data back and forth to characters.  I don't read his words as proposing a
>change to XML so as to allow the inclusion of binary data in the stream.

Let me be clear: I do not believe SAX should directly support *any*
binary data format. SAX is an API for XML, and should remain just
that, nothing more. If other binary formats wish to interoperate with
SAX, it is their responsibility to define a reasonable mapping into
XML structures, not to change the XML APIs to support their non-XML
information set.

>Note that BER has existed for 20 years and PER has existed for 10 years.  It
>is reasonable for someone to propose the reuse of SAX's architecture and
>concepts for creating an API over BER/PER encodings, modified to handle data
>in binary form.

I think it is reasonable for someone to reuse the ideas of SAX to
create their own new API for processing their format. I do not think
it is reasonable to change SAX itself to enable this.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu