   Re: [xml-dev] Polymorphic strings (Was: [xml-dev] SAX for BinaryEncoding

i know conventional wisdom says convert to binary for efficiency.

but i'm on record as saying, and i've at least demonstrated that it's
only conventional wisdom.

processing efficiency depends on what you want to do with the data.

first binary isn't always smaller. someone might want to do the numbers
- here's the calculation - how many bytes does it take to represent the
largest integer/float as text, how many bytes does it take to represent
the number as binary. now take a probability distribution of the numbers
encountered in your application and their ratios of text/binary. most
applications don't save a lot. now calculate that saving against all the
other stuff in the typical message - elements, attributes, text values.

that leaves numeric only applications with big savings and they probably
shouldn't be using xml as a transport protocol in the first place.

second, binary isn't always faster. it takes time to convert to and from
text, particularly for floats. if all you want to do is display
something there's no point in the binary. in fact you need to do a lot
of calculations to get the overall time used by your application down.

in our database applications we find only about 5% of the cpu time is
used in calculations and even doubling the speed has no impact on users'
speed perceptions. and most of our numbers are ready for immediate
display (stored as text) so we probably go faster overrall anyway.

if it's so important to transmit data in asn.1 why not have the xml set
up properly. eg

<fingers type="integer">10</fingers>

then write an xml to asn.1 transform in sax or xslt that produces
something that can be easily compiled.

or simply write a sax-like product that will accept xml that conforms to
a published syntax. if it's good and useful people will use it, if it's
not someone will build a better mousetrap. if it's a bad idea it'll
wither and die. with experience it might lead to an extension of xml or
a new standard.

rick