   Re: [xml-dev] Production 78 in XML 1.1

In article <p0600200abbd4342462e4@[192.168.254.4]> you write:

>[78]     extParsedEnt     ::=     TextDecl? content - Char*
>RestrictedChar Char*

>The rationale for this change is unclear to me. Could anyone explain
>this? I think this trying to say that an external parsed entity
>cannot contain control characters unless they're wrapped inside an
>element, comment, or processing instruction--for instance, an
>external parsed entity consisting only of the bell character or
>&#x07; would be illegal, but <bell>&#x07;</bell> would be legal--but
>I'm not sure.  Does anyone know exactly what this means and why?

It just prevents the use of *literal* control characters.  &#x07; is
legal regardless of whether it's inside an element or not.

I'll use * to represent a literal BEL character:

  <bell>*</bell>
and
  *
and
  <?foo * ?>

are illegal because they all match

  Char* RestrictedChar Char*

as well as

  TextDecl? content

whereas

  <bell>&#x07;</bell>

and

  &#x07;

don't.

(Nor does <?foo &#x07; ?>, but character references are not recognised
in PIs.)

-- Richard