   Re: [xml-dev] Formating XML data in XSLT

At 2003-11-10 17:28 -0400, Cleverson Schmidt wrote:
>How can I format data generated by a XSLT engine?

By writing an XSLT stylesheet.

>I am trying to write a xml-to-java application where a class file is
>defined in a XML structure like
>and transform the above XML in a java file:
>How can I do that?

By using the method="text" output method as in:

   <xsl:output method="text"/>

... as this will ensure that any markup sensitive characters in the output
are not escaped using XML lexical rules.

>How can I control the text format of the output?

Your stylesheet is entirely in control of the "text format of the output"
... any PCDATA you put into your XSLT result tree is put to the output file
when using the text output method.  Newline sequences and indentation you
have *properly* included in your stylesheet will be newline sequences and
indentation in the result.  The caveat is that you need <xsl:text> to
preserve white-space in an XSLT stylesheet.

Note that elements and attributes of the result tree are ignored when using
the text output method ... just concentrate on getting the PCDATA correct.

I hope this helps!

....................... Ken

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc