   SAX Test suite

At 12:27 PM -0500 11/10/03, Bob Wyman wrote:

>	Excuse my ignorance here, but is there anything like a "SAX
>Test Suite" that can be used to demonstrate conformance in an
>objective manner?

Sadly, no, there isn't. I vaguely remember an effort to create such a
thing several years ago, but it never went very far and google can't
locate it now. There is a W3C XML test suite that just tests whether
parsers detect and correctly report well-formed, malformed, valid,
and invalid documents. It's not really what you're looking for though.

Still, you could probably rig something up by writing a SAX program
to generate traces from this test suite using an existing SAX parser.
Hmmm, in fact you could use several parsers to generate stack traces
and see what popped out and where different parsers differed from
each other. That might be interesting in and of itself, ASN.1 aside.
You would have to be careful to watch out for known non-determinisms
in SAX like how often the characters method is called, but that's not
too big a deal.

I could see a SAX ContentHandler that generated an XML document to
report what had been reported, and XSLT stylesheets that could
compare one document to another, similar to how the OASIS XSLT Test
suite works. Then you'd have to manually scan the differences to
determine who was correct and who wasn't. Seems like an interesting
project. I might just take it on when I get a spare minute, sooner if
anyone wants this badly enough to hire me to produce it.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu