   Re: [xml-dev] XPath help

At 10:18 AM 11/11/2003, Stephen Stone wrote:
>I need to also return all CData sections from the current node.

XPath does not give you a way to do this.

Here's what CDATA sections do, according to the XML Rec:

>[Definition: CDATA sections may occur anywhere character data may occur;
>they are used to escape blocks of text containing characters which would
>otherwise be recognized as markup. CDATA sections begin with the string
>"<![CDATA[" and end with the string "]]>":]

So in XQuery, the purpose of a computed CDATA constructor would be to
escape text that contains characters which would otherwise be recognized as
markup. Once you get these characters past the parser, they are just
characters, and the XPath data model does not preserve the boundaries of a
CDATA section (nor does the XML Information Set).

Jonathan