   RE: [xml-dev] Inside Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up

Hi Rich,

Rich said:
It's more than just O/S.  Part of the early postings on this thread were
about the browser-as-platform and how Redmond reacted to that threat.

Didier replies:
Sorry if I do not follow the convention (it's not a standard, just a
convention) my email client don't do that for me and it is too time
consuming to add a ">" in front of each line. I hope you can understand
that.

I just made a recent research about the term "rich internet application" in
several search engines. What came out is:
a) Flash based applications.
b) java applets based application (but a lot less than Macromedia Flash)

and only one reference to an HTML based components (ref:
http://netscript.com). Even though, I had a lot of difficulties to figure
out what these components where doing.

It seems that up to now, the main paradigm was based on a "render a page at
a time". Several vendors selling fat servers obviously promoted fat servers
and their related thin client. In other words, a low fat client and a high
fat server :-). Guess why we have health problems now :-)

Seriously, there was a very bad promotion of using ECAMscript+HTML to create
rich internet applications. Until recently, I was hardly able to do
something decent in Netscape. If is only since the release of Mozilla that
we have a decent environment. Sometime, the problem is that they are
following a bit too much the "recommendations" and this leads to a lousy
environment to develop applications. On passing, just consider to add a new
attribute to an object using an ECMA script code snippet. Sticking to W3C
DOM you have to do:

var table = getElementById("myTable");
table.setAttribute("myCustomAttribute", "myCustomValue");

Now we are lucky that both Mozilla and IE teams followed more the prototype
programming paradigm of ECMAScript and allowed:

table = getElementById("myTable");
table.myCustomAttribute = "myCustomeValue";

Does the expression "setAttribute" equivalent to "=". Off course yes for any
well constituted developer.

Its even better in IE since you do not have to declare:
table = getElementById("myTable");

The element is automatically converted as a prototype and thus is more
natural to the programming model of ECMAScript.

And I have several dozen of examples like that. In other words, don't ask
why the browser is not perceived as a good application development
environment. You don't turn a camel into a racing horse unless you
definitively want to loose the race, don't you?

The focus of W3C was and is still not to create a good environment to create
"rich internet applications" but more "recommendations" to define document
structures (an exception with web services thought).

The enemy is not outside, it's within. Same problem with some people that
kill others and themselves for a lack of having identified who their real
enemies are.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
http://didier-martin.com