   RE: [xml-dev] Inside Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up

  • To: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Inside Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up
  • From: "Bedros Hanounik" <Bedros.Hanounik@tarari.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:09:30 -0800

Didier,

> Bedros said:
>Actually, it's OK for a group to ignore standards, because it
represents
>many companies. It's NOT OK for Microsoft to ignore standards, because
>it's a single entity.

>Didier replies:
>Humm... What you said is scary. These kinds of justification led us to
the
>worst situations throughout our history. In my world, a group is not
more
>justified than an individual and vise versa, period.

A good standard is built on a wide range of feedback from many
companies; I don't like a company that forces a technology down the
throat of their customers and partners. Regardless of the power that
company has. Even if MS is a large company and has many sub entities,
still the critical decisions are made by a handful of people, making it
a single entity after all.

One good example for MS to learn from is Sun Microsystems. Sun
introduced Java, and they still have control over it. But, the whole
industry is developing the technology and everyone is benefiting; not
just customers who use Sun Products.

I'll be reluctant to use Microsoft technologies, until they give the
freedom of choice to me (their customer) like most other companies do.

If I'm planning to build the best IT infrastructure and I think MS
windows is the best OS out there and Java is the best web services
environment. Then, I could do it. Thank you Sun.

On the other hand, if I believe that TruUnix is the best OS and XAML is
the best environment, then most likely I couldn't build my dream
infrastructure. Courtesy of Microsoft.

If Microsoft makes TV's we'll need to buy MS VCR and MS stereo in order
to get it to work together. If I tell this to a regular person, s/he
will be laughing at me.

Having open standards is part of the natural evolution. Linux (and any
open platform) is the best thing could happen to the IT industry.

-Bedros