   Re: [xml-dev] Word 2003 schemas available

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Odd.  The only times I've noticed XML files being much larger than .doc
> files was when they contained pictures or other data Word treats as
> binary - and then reports as @#X! Base 64.
>
> Generally I've found my Word XML files to be close to their .doc
> equivalents, and sometimes even smaller.

I just checked a Word 2003 manuscript that has a lot of graphic
illustrations -

.doc   1.24 MB
.xml   1.93 MB
.xml zipped - 0.68 MB
Imported into Open Office 1.1 and saved as a .sxw file: 0.84 MB.

I would say that is very satisfactory and does not need compression.
And if it were to be compressed with zip or gzip like Open Office files,
who could complain at the result?

Cheers,

Tom P