   RE: [xml-dev] Word 2003 schemas available

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 17:25, Bob Wyman wrote:

> 	The easiest way to encourage them not to define a *custom*
> binary format is to make it easy for them to use a *standard* binary
> format that interchanges well with code designed to process XML.

The open source office suites have solved this issue years ago by simply
compressing their XML documents using well known standards.

While I don't thing that this can be a general answer to applications
requiring binary formats, I have been surprised to see how well this
simple solution is working for Open Office which native format (XML
documents packaged in a simple zip file) is often smaller than the
corresponding MS office document.

Eric
--
Freelance consulting and training.