   Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML and a text editor, barefoot in the winter, uphill

At 16:00 18/11/2003, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>We do accept a subset of DocBook, but it also depends on the author's
>preference (of course), the editor's preference (some folks aren't fond
>of XML), and the series (Missing Manuals and Hacks so far are Word
>only.)

O'Reilly were quite happy to take my docbook input.
The "O'Reilly" version was minimally different.

>I suspect that if there were a WYSIWYG DocBook editor with revision
>marks, my co-workers would be happier about XML.

I had hopes of Word-2003 for that Simon.
For some inexplicable reason, any word styling I apply to
a block of text tagged with b or similar, isn't uniformally
applied to other b tagged content.
   I guess MS haven't got XML yet?
Styling based on tagging was my hope, for admin people without
any exposure to XML.
   Its a start, but 3/10 MS.

>I'd guess that slightly under half the books I've edited were submitted
>in XML.  Sadly, all of the books I've written are in Word.

<grin/> Tut tut Simon.

regards DaveP