   Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML and a text editor, barefoot in the winter, uphill

swiesner@logicline.de (Stephan Wiesner) writes:
>> I keep promising myself that if I ever become a famous author I will
>> force my publisher to allow me to write in XML . . .
>

> While you're waiting to become famous, try finding an XML-friendly
> publisher.  My own publisher, Prentice-Hall, is happy to accept
> manuscripts in XML (at least for the technical division), and I'm
> pretty sure that O'Reilly is as well (right, Simon?).

We do accept a subset of DocBook, but it also depends on the author's
preference (of course), the editor's preference (some folks aren't fond
of XML), and the series (Missing Manuals and Hacks so far are Word
only.)

I suspect that if there were a WYSIWYG DocBook editor with revision
marks, my co-workers would be happier about XML.  From my perspective,
Topologi's Markup Editor is quite beautifully sufficient.  (It was a
tremendous help during the editing of our upcoming RELAX NG book.)

I'd guess that slightly under half the books I've edited were submitted
in XML.  Sadly, all of the books I've written are in Word.