   Re: [xml-dev] Word 2003 schemas available

Alaric B Snell wrote:

> I'd agree with that! Although most of you here on XML-DEV probably
> think of me as rabidly anti-XML, that's just because I disagree with
> using it for data interchange - things like DocBook are much easier to
> do in XML than SGML, an absolute pleasure. I'd choose DocBook/XML in
> Emacs over Word (for writing books, anyway - letters really need a
> different document structure) any day!

Personally I have always found DOCBOOK hideous to use. There are always
so many
layers of markup, I always susect that it was written with some
particular editor
in mind.

My general advice is not to use XML at all unless you are working on a
large-enough
project to make the tooling up worthwhile.  Word has been famously not
geared for large
documents, but FrameMaker and Word Perfect are pretty good, in my
experience.

I find authoring in simple HTML or even unmarked-up blank-line separated
paragraphs, then marking
the document up in the target DTD is a pretty efficient approach. That
way you can defer
having to understand the minutae of structure and tools until after you
have finished thinking
about your words.

Has anyone looked at the Word 2003 schemas? What are the advances on
RTF? Do they have
real tables and  do they have autonumbering asynchonous with the element
structure?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe