len

From: Joe English [mailto:jenglish@flightlab.com]

This "SGML vs ASN.1 conflict" has been mentioned several
times in this thread, but before now I'd never heard of it.
What was this supposed conflict all about?  Any references?

(As far as I knew, the big fight was "SGML vs ODA".  ASN.1
never entered into it except insofar as ODA was an application
of ASN.1.  All that was before my time though, ODA was
long-dead by the time I got into SGML.)

As an aside, I recently noticed something interesting
buried deep in the SGML handbook: a reference to ISO 9069
(Full title: ISO 9069:1988 Information processing --
SGML support facilities -- SGML Document Interchange Format
(SDIF)), which defines an ASN.1 encoding for SGML document
interchange.  This seems to be the converse of the XER --
SGML encoded as ASN.1 instead of ASN.1 encoded as (SG|X)ML.
Don't know if anyone ever used it.