   Re: [xml-dev] Updating document with SAX

At 20:16 20.11.2003, you wrote:

> > At 16:13 20.11.2003, you wrote:
> >
> > >Have you had a look at STX? http://stx.sourceforge.net/.
> >
> > Yes, I've looked at that shallowly. I've looked at
> > http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/index.html XUpdate - XML Update Language
> > too.
> >
> > They're based on full Xpath/XSLT like processing,
>
>I don't think STX has full XPath, as this is not possible
>without storing state. Well, depending on your kind of
>transformation you may need to store state.

Yes, they're not full Xpath, sorry. But STX implementation
might not be very lightweight thing - I must look
at it more closely.

>To make such (and general) SAX tasks easier for me
>I have actually written a class that allows me to
>register "element handlers" with path epressions
>(just plain relative paths plus wildcards). This has
>helped me organize my code better around the parts
>in the document I am interested in.
>
>Something similar might be helpful for you.

Yep, of course. My idea was about updating the document or
binding updatable data into variables,
state handling is part of it of course. Maybe I wasn't very clear with
my explanations/pseudo code.

It could be handy to have lightweight updatable sax based binding for
situations where
you need to update some part of large doc for example. In situations where
you can't
parse into DBMS or you don't want to build application specific data structure
from the whole doc.

with respect,

Toni Uusitalo

"And I wish that I was made of stone
So that I would not have to see
A beauty impossible to define
A beauty impossible to believe"
- Nick Cave (Brompton Oratory) - romanticist?

"There are lots of myths that people have around issues of beauty and
attraction, and part of the issue is to stop thinking about things in terms
of myth, but to use the tools of neuroscience, and start dissecting and
understanding how things actually function," said Dr. Hans Breiter, a
psychiatrist and co-author of the study."
- The Brain Is Stimulated by Beauty, Study Finds - abcnews.com - scientist?