   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft FUD on binary XML...

At 3:01 PM -0800 11/20/03, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

>I think these are all important concerns. I do find it a little
>baffling that so many people recognize (1) as a valid concern and
>willing endorse using gzip transformations of XML documents to
>address it, while refusing to recognize (2) and (3) as valid
>concerns or accept other types of transformations of XML documents.

I think it comes down to a layering issue. gzip can be applied to the
binary stream. To a large extent, this does not affect or change the
XML format at all. It's simply a different binary encoding of text
data, and the text data is what is real. gzip knows nothing about XML
and doesn't need to. 2 and 3 have to understand the XML document as
an XML document to operate. That's a horse of a very different color.

Consider what happens when parsing: if I have a gzipped document I
first decode it into genuine XML and pass that into an XML parser. If
I have an ASN.1 or Sosnoski format document, I use a different parser
to decode the data directly into different objects. I neither create
XML nor use an XML parser.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu