   Re: [xml-dev] Relating to XML

At 11:41 AM 11/21/2003 -0800, Baiss Magnusson wrote:
>I have a direct to java client web application which parses a XML file, I
>designed the XML syntax, of recipes into Enterprise Objects (EO's).
>
>My question is: How does one go about creating interoperability with other
>applications?
>For instance, there is another cookbook application around which has an
>export function and produces an XML type file of similar, but slightly
>different tag syntax than my cookbook program. I would like to import it's
>recipes.
>
>Is there something about XML services that I am missing?
>
>I had the same kind of problem with my application
><www.track-your-finances.com>, where I dumped the transactions into an XML
>file, but then I found no use for those transactions as there was no
>application around which could use the file. I had thought that something
>like Quicken would be able to import the file, but that didn't appear to
>be the case.

I think the piece that you're missing is XSLT, which you can use to
transform an XML document using your tags to or from "an XML type file of
similar, but slightly different tag syntax than my cookbook program."

Other than that, every other solution to date that I know about is mostly
theoretical or specware, and not implemented yet.  UN/CEFACT in its ebXML
core components work has the concept of assigning a unique global ID to
each unique bit of business information.  If this GUID was assigned in the
respective document schemas or instance documents, applications could
process data using the GUID to identify semantics instead of relying on
element and attribute names which might be different (like even in
different languages).  I've not looked into the semantic web much, but I
think it probably involves a similar concept.    Don't hold your breath
waiting for something like this.  If you need a solution now use XSLT.

Mike

Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com
Using XML with Legacy Business Applications (Addison-Wesley, 2003)
www.awprofessional.com/titles/0321154940