   Re: [xml-dev] crimson package in j2sdk1.4.1

> Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>
>>At 4:10 PM +0000 11/23/03, Michael Kay wrote:
>>

>>>Others may disagree, but my perception is that Xerces is bigger, slower,
>>>has more features and fewer bugs.
>>>

>>I'll second that. By my count, Xerces-J currently has one bug in
>>basic XML parsing. (It doesn't report default attribute values from
>>the internal DTD subset in invalid documents.) Its nearest
>>competitor, the latest Oracle beta, has about ten such bugs. All
>>other parsers I've tested are worse.
>>

> I think the Xerces parser is excellent. Unfortunately the DOM
> implementation is tainted by their use of "deferred node expansion" by
> default. This works reasonably well for larger documents but adds a
> hefty overhead to building the DOM for small documents. It also has the
> unfortunate side effect of making read-only DOM access unsafe for
> multithreaded use (since reading the nodes will actually alter their
> internal representation). I haven't checked if Sun left this enabled for
> the JAXP bundling of Xerces, but assume they did.

  I want to modify the source files corresponding to the package (Xerces
or Crimson) to include additional functionality. I am using Xerces jar
files
to execute my programs. But unfortunately when i am debugging my program,
control goes to the crimson package. So which files i need to change. I am
using J2SDK1.4.1.