   RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema Question

Thanks to Priscilla, Henry, Bob and Jeff.
That makes perfect sense.  I'll forward this
back to the X3D group.   We are in the process
of cleaning up the schema and DTD.  I think I
shall continue to use XSV, though, if for no
other reason than to give feedback on what it
detects in case that outs any bugs.

If it isn't the gold standard, it ought to be.
Understand the problems of other consortia building
on W3C specifications to create ISO standards, and
you quickly see the problem of authoritative reference.
Given multiple testers with different parsers, it
is important to know which tool is the one to trust
even if it has known bugs.  Better the known than
the unknown.  While the situation may be getting
better, schedules for other works are complicated
by tool diversity.

Systems like X3D that sit atop different consortia
specifications, the OpenGL and Direct3D 3D languages,
and then the multitude of device drivers underneath
are in a boiling soup of bug sources. That should
make the rich client application developers who must also use
those subsystems more than a little nervous. So
we may be forced toward reference implementations
to get stability even if only in the legal sense.

Betty is right.  This is eerily reminiscent of 1993.
Are unicorns coming back?

len

From: Priscilla Walmsley [mailto:priscilla@walmsley.com]

Hi Len,

Normally, min/maxOccurs are allowed on the choice element.  Those 2 choice
groups are invalid because they each appear as the child of a "group"
element.  XML Schema does not allow min/maxOccurs on the children of
"group".  Instead, you put min/maxOccurs on the _reference_ to the group, as
in:

<group ref="xxx" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="6"/>

Hope that helps,
Priscilla