   Re: [xml-dev] Gold Standard Schema Parser was Re: [xml-dev] XMLSchema Q

At 2003-11-25 13:49 -0500, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
><Quote>
>Policy makers don't always understand the technical implications of the
>policies they are developing.
></Quote>
>
>I don't think that Betty was implying that the Federal XML Developer's
>Guide is meant as policy;
>I was the editor for the most recent version (2.0, published April
>2002). The Federal XML Developer's Guide was created from the Department
>of the Navy XML Developer's Guide, which was developed by folks that are
>highly technically skilled (they are not policy-makers).

While true, my understanding is that non-technical influences impacted on
the decision to use W3C Schema and not even regard available technologies
such as RELAX-NG as viable candidates.

>The Federal XML
>Developer's Guide was created by removing the Department of the Navy
>references, and incorporating some adjustments due to feedback from
>various folks (the adjustments had to do with other choices of
>preferences, not errors in the Department of the Navy XML Developer's
>Guide).

... but without consideration for other viable technologies that may offer
advantages over and above the use of W3C Schema.

>I would also like to emphasize that the Federal XML Developer's Guide is
>guidance, and not government policy.

Regardless, it gets *treated* as policy (and they should have realized
that, much of what the government calls guidance gets treated de facto as
policy) and the ripple effect has been felt far and wide by such guidance
not to consider alternatives.

................. Ken

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc