   Re: [xml-dev] date type validation with XML Schema

> From: "lgngri" <lgngri@hotmail.com>
> Date: 2003/11/25 Tue PM 03:34:21 GMT
> To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
> Subject: [xml-dev] date type validation with XML Schema
>
> Hi,
>
> I need to validate a Date Of Birth element which is of date data type. Specifically, I need to validate the age range of this element against current date. In other words, the person represented by the record as of today must not be older than 85 and younger than 17. I could use minIncl or maxIncl but this would force me to re-generate XML schema daily based upon the current date. Is there anything can be done with xs:duration or any other way?

Firstly, you can't do this with XML Schema.

Secondly, are you really sure you want to? Schema-based validation is great for detecting that the document you've been sent has been wrongly constructed and must therefore be rejected. But with an constraint violation like this, I would have thought most applications would want to do something more intelligent than chuck out the whole document saying "invalid input". Like sending a message saying sorry, we're not really ageist, but our computer is...

Michael Kay

Hi,

I need to validate a Date Of Birth element which is of date data type. Specifically, I need to validate the age range of this element against current date. In other words, the person represented by the record as of today must not be older than 85 and younger than 17. I could use minIncl or maxIncl but this would force me to re-generate XML schema daily based upon the current date. Is there anything can be done with xs:duration or any other way?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Leo