   Re: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

On Dec 15, 2003, at 9:08 AM, jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

>> What is the "cognitive style" of writing documents in XML vs.
>> PowerPoint,
>> Word, or FrameMaker? Do the tools we use to write affect the way we
>> think?
>
> It's not at that level: it's about bullet-point lists, really.

The tools we use *do* affect the way we think.  But John's right.  I
recently switched from PPoint to Keynote (Apple's competitor) and
decided that, to use IETF-talk, presentations SHOULD NOT contain bullet
lists, and in the three or four big speeches I've done since then,
managed to have only one or two, and there are places in fact where
it's sensible to enumerate some things visually and then talk about
them.

So my slides now have a lot more pictures; in fact if I can't
illustrate something I usually won't make a slide for it.  I believe
this has two effects: (a) the presentations are more entertaining.  (b)
the slides are less useful as collateral to distribute later. -Tim