   Re: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

liam@w3.org (Liam Quin) writes:
>Agreed - the best talks I've heard (and I like to think given) don't
>rely on bullet points.

The best talk I've given involved about 80 pictures of Playmobil figures
in offices dealing as best they could with mysterious XML specifications
hurled down at them by a benificent (or angry?) god.[1]

The audience response, at least until the sound cut out and I'd lost my
script and wandered, was the best I've ever had - by an order of
magnitude or two.

That said, I'm not sure I can recommend such presentations as a general
rule.  It was explicitly a polemic, for starters.  Beyond that, it took
about five times as much effort to write as my usual text-heavy slides,
isn't easily re-used, and involved a large investment in small plastic
toys, lighting devices, and now better camera equipment.

There'll be more to come.

[1] http://simonstl.com/articles/halfparse-smil/  (and yes, I'll have an
animated HTML version up sometime too. To give you some idea of it, see
http://simonstl.com/articles/halfparse2/schemas.html .)