   RE: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

I'd be interested in reading those 'disproofs'.
The problem with the cognitive approach is accepting
unprovable voodoo about mental operations.

Tufte is overrated.  He makes good points that
out bad style habits (e.g., chartjunk), but if I arranged
music like he arranges data, it would all sound like
bad Bach: lotsa notes in search of a backbeat and
only one kind of instrument playing all the parts.
Chartjunk is like giving a stretto to the tubas.

I gave a speech for a conference in Vancouver
some years ago where the entire screen show
was a group of 3D animated acronyms floating
in the soup.  The bullets were on the page
in front of me.  The bullets kept me on track while
the animation kept the listeners' eyes on something
else.  Nothing is remembered of that speech
because it wasn't memorable.

When you're hot, you're hot.
When you're not, you can't give it away.

len (a behaviorist because it's reliable)

From: Joshua Allen [mailto:joshuaa@microsoft.com]

> > Tools do affect the way we think just as languages, a tool of sort,
> > affects the way we think.  It has less to do with the audience or

Not to spiral too quickly off-topic, but I wanted to point out that
Sapir-Whorf has been thoroughly discredited, and although it makes for
good plotlines in books like "Snow Crash" and lends an air of mysterious
authority to persons like Chomsky; the thesis that language shapes
cognition is highly overrated.