   Re: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

On Dec 17, 2003, at 8:55 AM, Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> . All presentations are expected to have headings that are complete
> sentences so that they read like a "storyboard" - so for instance,
> instead of having a heading such as "Benefits of XML", we are expected
> to have "The benefits of XML are numerous, and...blah blah blah".
> Additionally, the body of the slides are expected to come as close as
> possible to standing on their own, so that one can understand all of
> the
> points even if they view the slides without the speaker supporting
> them.

After having the humbling experience of watching  live video of part of
my XML 2003 presentation that was  posted to the Web, I have to agree.
Those of us who are gifted (or well trained) speakers can get away with
having the slides be the 'accompaniment" rather than the "melody", but
the rest of us should probably have something meaningful/memorable on
the screen so that the audience gets some benefit even if the speaker
is less than riveting entertainment.