   RE: [xml-dev] patterns and restrictions

> Does the following allow 'abc' as a valid value?
>
> <xs:simpleType name="MyDouble">
>         <xs:restriction base="xs:double">
>             <xs:pattern value="[^N].*"/>
>         </xs:restriction>
> </xs:simpleType>

No, it doesn't. The value must be a double, and its lexical
representation must conform to the pattern. Actually I think every
double will conform to this pattern, so the pattern is redundant.

Using patterns to constrain values other than strings is questionable
though. Constraining an input document to contain a number such as
"23.50" rather than "23.5" puts an unnecessary burden on anyone
generating these documents, especially if they are using XSLT or XQuery
to do it. It's the value that matters, not its representation.

Michael Kay