   RE: [xml-dev] Prior Art For Microsoft's XUL Patent Wanted

As I looked into it, I came to the same conclusion.
A bit of a red herring ... XAML and XUL won't be
patented if the USPTO stays alert and the patent
seekers do due diligence diligently. (ouch..).  I
was surprised as I looked into inductive interfaces
to see MS mystified that they had not originated
the idea given any mil tech writer's experience
with the LSAR records for repair procedures and
that background informed MID design.  This stuff
just isn't rocket science.

The EOLAS patent is generating defensive patenting
elsewhere.  For now, it is a brush war, but we
need some sort of forward looking strategy if we
are to stay focused on global software (software
developed in the open by individuals and groups
with a focus on global use and distribution).
Standards aren't enough and best of breed leads
to reduced functionality on delivery.

len

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol [mailto:gtn@rbii.com]

On Friday 12 December 2003 01:57 pm, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Do a web Search on US Navy MID and ISO ISMID.

I also have some prior art in using XML or XML+XSL for generating UI's at
runtime, but I think this patent is specifically about the .HTA files... the

patent is all about HTML, so it's possible that something as simple as using

XHTML would fall outside the scope of the patent.